Carrots and Fennel Braised with Orange Zest and HoneyIngredients:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (preferably orange blossom honey)
- 1 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch x 3 inch sticks
- 1 fennel bulb, ends trimmed, bulb cut in half, each half cored and cut lengthwise in 1/8â-inch slices
- 4 strips of orange zest,â each 1 inch x 4â inch (use vegetable peeler)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, âcrushed in a mortar
- 1/3 cup spring water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fennel fronds or dill
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat. Add the butter, olive oil, and honey. Stir well and add the carrots, fennel, orange zest and fennel seeds. Toss until the slices are well coated with the oil. SautÃ© for 2 to 3 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the fennel starts to soften. Add the water, orange juice, salt, and pepper. Toss quickly and reduce heat to between medium and medium-low. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Uncover the pan. Raise heat to high and fast-simmer until the juices have all evaporated and some of the vegetables are golden-brown, about 6 to 7 minutes, tossing only occasionally so as not to break or mush the vegetables. Remove orange zest, transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with the fennel fronds, and serve immediately. Cookâsâ note: The carrots and fennel can be trimmed and cut up to 6 hours ahead and refrigerated until ready to use, but the dish is best made just before serving. It does not reheat well.